Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Woodpecker Rules

On 1/21/2013 10:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/21/2013 8:44 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/21/2013 4:22 PM, Bill wrote:

No reason to start a new thread. Just picked up four 3" castors from
Harbor Freight
to build one of those pyramidal-shaped clamp racks, with a 30" base with
a flat top to put neccessities,
and probably some shelves in between. Since I'll be using screws, the
project allows for winter woodworking (something
many folks are able to take for granted!)

Here's a picture of the basic idea, with which the reader is probably
already familiar:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...able-plan.aspx

The four main "verticals" (corner pieces) have "splay" (at least, I
think that's the way they refer to it on the legs on Windsor chairs).

I'll review my ww mags to help come up with a desgin--I will probably
include a flat end to hang hooks on.
New shop furniture!

I'm not sure if I'll have splay in just two dimension or three. The
clamp rack in the diagram seems appears to be in the former category,
and would be simpler than if done in the latter category--but might end
up looking more "stoic" (than pyramidal).

If anyone has any suggestions on building with splay, as described, I'm
all ears. I think that with leaning/splay in 2 dimensions (like in the
picture at the link), the problem
is not as challenging as it is in 3.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill , incorporate some 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe for at least one rung on
each side and you can load it with heavy clamps. You'd be surprised how
even closet rod will bend under a heavy load. I think over the years you
will be surprised how much you use and add to your collection. I find my
rack is a great addition. I want another. Man can never have too many
clamps... Unless he doesn't use them.

Thanks for the tip on using pipe. Yes, I have a bunch of clamps
already. Like everyone else here, I'm sure, I see my collection growing
rather than shrinking. Currently, I have 4 "stacks" of clamps (sorted by
size)--quite unsatisfactory.

Bill

1x4 works great.