Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old Panasonic CRT TV, Adjusting Picture Geometry

The old Zenith with zoom, oh yeah. However those didn't really vary the HV, at least not on purpose. The modified the H pulse to the yoke and cranked the V height.

When you get to the HD TV sets, you will find some with separate HV because alot of them didn't actualy upconvert. You had 1080i and 480p, a 480i signal really just went through a line doubler. RCAs dealt with the differences in sweep using the flyback, in fact in the DTV3XX series they varied the B+ voltage to compensate. That's why there aren't too many of them around anymore, it was not a good idea. The ITC and ATC chassis were quite a bit more reliable.

The HD Sonys have a separate flyback driven from a totem pole of two MOSFETs. The frequency is does not give a **** Hz, but it is higher than the sweep, which seems like a good idea.

Separate HV was really popular in CRT based RPTVs. In those, it solved alot of problems all at once.

I can't think of any Panasonic direct views with separate HV, and now that I mention it, neither in their RPTVs. There could be a model or two out there I have not seen though.