John Stumbles

Default Inset gas fires - query as to pipe run

"Lobster" wrote in message
om...
No-one wrote in message

. ..
I have an old style gas fire siiting in front of a fire surround on
the hearth. The gas supply is via a chrome pipe attached to the pipe
supply which exits the floor some 2 feet to the right of the fire.

I am considering getting opening up the fireplace and getting an inset
gas fire. Before I decide on this, what is the likely way the pipe
would be made to run from the supply to the fire, given that it would
be in the fireplace proper? Would a fitter bury the pipe behind the
skirting (possibly into the plaster) or run it in much the same way as
it is now?

It certainly can be buried, but the pipe should contact plaster/mortar
directly as it's likely to corrode. It can be wrapped in protective
tape, but your best bet is to have the actual gas pipe pass through a
plastic conduit if that's possible, so it can be easily accesssed and
serviced in the future. Me, I don't like burying pipes (gas or water)
in walls.

If it runs through a wall it _must_ be run in a sleeve

If you'll be paying a CORGI hourly rate to fit your fire, you might
want to do the donkey work of creating the conduit, or whatever,
yourself.

Before I got my dog licence I did this for a customer I was fitting a fire
surround and hearth for. I drilled a hole through from near the gas elbow
(connector) back into the builder's opening and ran some 15mm copper pipe
through as a conduit for the (8mm or 10mm) pipe for the fire itself (which
was later fitted by a qualified dog).

--
John Stumbles