Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Hunter Ceiling Fan no lnger works

Mike Easter wrote:
gary wrote:
My Hunter ceiling fan (model #25560) and its lights no longer work
when I pull the pull-chains.

The fact that neither lights nor fan work suggests/indicates that there
is no juice to either, as opposed to the fan motor not working or a pull
switch malfunction or a fan reversal switch being in neutral.

The juice to the two, fan and lights, is common, whereas the mechanism
for turning them on and off and reversing is separate.

The fan/lights are NOT controlled by a wall switch nor by a
remote-control.

The wiring between the fan and the electrical panel is OK and all of
the circuit breakers are On.

Does the fan have a reset button? If so, where is it?

I would access what is likely the wire nuts for the electrical connection
to the fan and lights after you have double-checked that you haven't made
an error in evaluating whether the circuit breaker for the fan/light is
properly identified.

It isn't 'logical' electrically speaking that there isn't a wall switch
somewhere for a ceiling fixture. Most likely when the electrical circuit
was installed, there wasn't a ceiling fan/light there (yet).

I'm not so sure about that. Imagine this scenario:

The upstairs bedrooms in my house had no ceiling fixtures when I moved in.
A wall switch controlled an outlet in each room. I added ceiling light
fixtures and rerouted the wires to the switch to control them, but...

Had I been installing fans/lights with remote controls, I don't know that I
would have gone through the trouble of wiring in the switches. It wasn't
easy getting the wire through the top plates of the walls, down to the
switches, etc. I can certainly see a reason to wire the lights to the
switch and operate the fan only via remote, but I can also see - depending
on hard it would be to wire in the switches - to simply run power wires to
the fan, leave the rest of the wiring as it was and use the remote to
control the fan and light.

So, "logically" it's very possible that there is no switch.

I have 4 ceiling fans in my house and they all have wall switches (in
addition to whatever other controls they

One of those wall switches of mine is used so seldom I can hardly
remember where it is. More than once I have thought something was wrong
with my remote for the ceiling fan/light because the remote 'wasn't working' to turn it on.