Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New printer - feedback

On 13/01/13 10:51, fred wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes
I took John Rumm's advice and went for a Samsung in the end.

Specifically the CLX-4195FW. So far I'm very impressed.

Scanning - excellent quality with scan2email and scan2usb. xsane works
over
the network too, but you have to do something weird to set it up the
first
time.

Photo printing quality I think is *very* good for a laser. Test is
excellent
too.

Thanks for feeding back, I'm also in the market for a colour laser, not
particularly a multifunction but it would mean one less box in the office.

At 300quid odd it's no economy model so I would hope the print quality
was spot on ;-). A good colour display does justify a bit of extra cost
as I've seen quite a few good printers spoiled by a crap (or no) display
and most punters can't remember how to interrogate or can't understand
the details of a web interface

Toner costs are a bit worrying, at 200quid a set that brings cost of
printer plus one set of spares to 500quid so I'd be looking for
something really special. This isn't really something for Joe Soap at home.

With ongoing costs of modern stuff so high I'm tempted to replace the
failing internal parts of my Dell 1320C to get some more life out of it
and take advantage of the lower toner costs (40quid a set for compatibles).

Although no solution yet on your tech issue, top marks for effort so
far, I've had similar good service from OKI in the past.

I reckon the internal sleep mode on the new HP laserjet color printer
here saves more in electricity over a year than I spend on toner.

I bought 'compatible' cartridges and instead of 200 notes it was a lot
less - about 120 quid. It's now had the whole set replaced after a
couple of years. Probably about 1000 pages in all.

if you remember that 200 quid is not more than 200 kilowatt hours and
there are 8500 hours in a year, 22 watts of power saved is the same
price as the toner.

24x7 kit really adds up..I am fighting to get it all down, but two
desktops, a printer, a router, a pair of speakers, two scanners, a big
100Mbps switch, a PABX and a low power server..well...there's a reason
why this home office is generally the warmest place to be :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.