Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Remembering turn direction on acetylene bottles

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

So how many people actually learn to turn em?
Few.
Gunner

I learned the hard way. Thick paint covered the Ls on the wheel studs
on the driver's side of the Army truck with a flat tire. I couldn't
loosen a lug nut so I enlisted a buddy about my not-so-large size to
help, and together we managed to turn it, the wrong way.

Then we sheepishly called on the motor pool mechanics to fix our
little oops. They were so impressed that we were strong enough to
strip the stud that they didn't give us any grief about replacing it.
Afterwards they treated us with respect instead of like geeky
electronic techs.

That, and they didn't want any more stripped studs to replace.