Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tapping into an electric circuit

On Jan 12, 4:15*am, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 11 January 2013 22:15 wrote in alt.home.repair:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:07:52 -0600, Mark Storkamp
wrote:

In article ,
gary wrote:

I need electricity for a ceiling fan. *In my attic, I found an existing
wire
that powers a light switch. *I want to run a new wire from the existing
wire
to the ceiling fan. *How do I tap into the existing wire?

The power may be running to the light, and the wire going to the switch
might only be a loop used to break the circuit to the light. If that's
the case then you can't tap into it there.

*So tap into the light then. It's not rocket science either way. The
point is, it HAS to be done at a box. You can't "vampire" it - and the
box needs to be accessible.

Do we even know where the OP lives (ie which electrical regulations are in
effect)?

Yes, you have a point. I should have qualified my answer
with the fact that it applies to most of the USA. Also many
places require a permit to do that work, though most are
done without one, required or not.