charlie b

Default Rant: Mini Max and Laguna

RKON wrote:

Thanks Charlie, I actually have read many of your posts from the past on
this subject and I really got some good info. I do have a question that I
was going to ping you on at one point. Since you asked.

The LT16SEC which you purchased from Laguna was manufactured by Meber. The
Sales Rep from MM was proud to point out that the S16
(http://www.minimax-usa.com/specials.html)is the same saw manufactured by
Meber with a better finish on the table and cast iron trunions. Does it
have a rack and pinion blade guide? if so, where is it in relation to the
roller guides?

The second image on the following page shows the rack and pinion set
up on
the blade guard and the images below it show the original euro guides
and
LTs new ceramic guides as well as the heavy gauge stamped steel
trunion.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/BandSaw.html

Note that the new ceramic guides required hacksawing off some of the
blade guard

One other thing I saw in your posts was that you wish the table had tilted
more for cutting dovetails. Do you cut your dove tails with your bandsaw?

Only the tails on big stuff - like the apron dovetails on Das Bench.
The pins require cutting at 8 to10 degrees off the face of the stock
-
in both the plus and minus direction. I made a ply 10 degree slant
stock holder to cut negative angle - BUT - control of a give foot
2x6 - at an angle was the real problem.

Laguna has some nice specials this month and MM is going to have to do
better. The MM16 is $2500 with shipping and mobility and the LT16HD is $2295
including shipping, mobility, and 3 blades. Just for kicks I contacted a
local dealer who carries Agazzani's and has a 20" for $2995. LOL...

The MM S16 for $1400 looks an awful lot like the LT16SEC I've got.
A 2.5 HP TEFC motor should be more than enough power and
12" resaw capacity is plenty - unless you're looking for something
with a sawing capacity just a little less than a Wood Mizer.

A mobility kit is really handy - a must have really, unless you
have a really large shop space.

I guess I got a good deal on the LT16SEC - $1100 total, delivered
to my shop floor. (gloat?)

I remember reading a post from someone saying that you would drive yourself
nuts trying to figure out what tools to buy. Well, I am half way to the
insane asylum.

I guess getting the Robland X31 combination machine explains the
little sanity I've retained - one decision, five functions
- 10 inch table saw with sliding table, 3 hp TEFC german motor
- 3/4 and 1 1/4 inch bore shaper with 3 hp TEFC german motor
- 12" planer/12" jointer/horizontal boring/mortiser
- XYZ table

The sooner you decide the sooner you can make sawdust - THE objective
to keep firmly in mind.

charlie b