Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Background checks for gun purchases

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:57:35 -0800, mike wrote:

(after whoyakidding's ghost spammed something)

Good to see that you get the name-calling out of the way before you
launch into nonsense.

You're confusing weapon and offense.

To bend your statements more toward reality, your suggestion is more
like shutting down the DMV and making it illegal to own a car
because someone might run a stop sign.

And I think you're on to something. If your interest is in reducing
deaths, banning cars would be far more productive than anything
you could do about guns...for the children.
And a LOT easier to enforce.

Cut up your driver's license...DO IT NOW!!!

I just did half an hour's research on your links in the last post and
some I had found earlier. Here's a quick compilation of interest:

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub...shbopc0510.pdf

172k guns stolen each year.
out of
2,400,000 burglaries each year.

--

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/12/...-counties.html
ATF says about 23% of stolen guns are recovered each year.

--

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...hip-world-list

Gun homicides each year USA: 9,176
Homicides caused by firearm: 60% (5,505.6)
Total number firearms in USA: 270,000,000

Results: Forty percent of murderers didn't use a gun, so gun bans
won't affect them. I doubt the illegal arms on the streets are
included in that 270M figure, but combine whatever number those are
with the 270M and the 5,505.6 homicides caused by that many guns is a
staggeringly low percentage. Subtract the gang killings from there
(my SWAG is 80%) and it's a pittance. More people die from slipping
and falling down (or car accidents) by far, than from guns.

--

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd...ths_2010-a.pdf
Falls kill 26,006 people each year.

--

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ocon/guns.html
ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail

--

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/1...-buy-guns.html
58% of guns used in crimes in IL were bought there.

More research is in order.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!