Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Salter carpet feet

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:04:45 PM UTC, GB wrote:
On 10/01/2013 10:57, wrote:

I've mislaid the carpet feet on my Salter 9028 bathroom scales which I

now need as I've carpeted the bathroom.

Mount it on a square of plywood.

Yes you just need to make sure the weight is all taken on the legs rather than on the baseplate. If this is not the case the reading can be low or high depending on the mechanism. I think New Scientist found that with mechanical types, bending of the baseplate is included in the calibration, but on carpet this is reduced giving higher readings due to the way the levers are connected. Digital scales often read lower on carpet - I guess strain guages connected to the legs in some way are feeling less force since the baseplate is partially supported.
Simon.