Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default BASIC without caps - Voltage divider solver.exe

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 19:13:38 -0800, josephkk
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:30:23 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

I don't think he's stupid, I think he's pigheaded to the point of
believing that NIH is always inferior to what comes out of his camp.

I do small async designs now and then, but they don't scale. The
number of hazards explode as the complexity goes up. Few if any humans
could handle a 1000-gate-level async logic design. Async logic has
been an academic darling for years, but has seen little non-trivial
commercial use.

Really? I think a 32 bit by 32 bit Wallace tree multiplier would top that
quite conveniently.

Sure, static logic is safe, as long as you are willing to keep its inputs stable
and then wait for for it to deliver an unambiguous, state-free output. But
static logic is, well, static; you can't blink a LED with it.

OTOH it will certainly be more stable in a block semi-synchronous design.

Big multipliers are usually synchronously pipelined.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer