Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace squeaks when it turns off

On Jan 7, 9:56*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

Wouldn't the fan belt squeak on startup, not shut down?

I'm thinking of the squeal that a loose automobile fan belt makes as a
car accelerates. It doesn't squeal once you reach a steady state speed
or when you take your foot off the gas because it's not going to slip
as it slows down.

Wouldn't the same thing occur in a furnace - slippage on startup but
no more torque (?) once the motor shuts down, therefore no squeal.

You might be right. * It has been a long time since I had that squeak.
Jim

The squeek may occur only in a certain range of speeds. On start-up,
the motor/fan goes thru that speed range very quickly, so no squeek.
On shut-down, the fan/motor coasts down relatively slowly, spending
more time in the speed range where there is a squeek. So you hear it
only on shut-down, not on start-up.

I agree to not oiling until noise is located, but oiling once a year
is a very good practice to save bearings and $$$.