Junior Member

Default Furnace squeaks when it turns off

Edit:

So... I thought the system would let me know when people replied to my post... so I came back to see if I could bump this and WOW, everyone here has given me a ton of leads and advice... Thank you so much to everyone who replied!!

Hi,

First time poster...

I'm fairly new to the US forced air furnace system, but my question is something that I haven't gotten an answer to on google... so here I am.

My furnace appears to be functioning normally, no strange sound except when it finishes and the thermostat clicks off... when the airflow stops there is a horrid squeak, followed by another squeak and then a third... this has been happening for quite sometime, with this being the third winter in the house in the north east but to my ear it is getting longer.

If this is normal and is just the sound of a vent closing, that would be awesome but I'd like to check!

also the thermostat clicks off and the furnace takes a minute to shut off... it is a high efficiency furnace installed in 02.

Much appreciation to anyone out there who has a clue to what this could be.

Thanks,

Mark.

Last edited by Mark P Williams : January 9th 13 at 12:37 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2013 7:37 PM, Mark P Williams wrote:
[...]

POSTING VIRGIN! EVERYBODY PILE ON! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2013 5:37 PM, Mark P Williams wrote:
[...]

lube the flappers in the bathroom and kitchen vents.
BUT
if the flappers are being blown open by the furnace,
you've got a lot of wasted heat that needs to be tracked
down and fixed...like a leak in the suction side of the furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark P Williams wrote:
[...]

The easy answer is for question 2: the reason the furnace takes a minute
to turn off is to allow the fan to remove the remaining heat from the heat
exchanger both so that it isn't wasted and so that the heat exchanger cools
down more evenly. That helps the heat exchanger last longer.

As far as the squeak, have you tried having someone turn the fan on and
then off as you listen to first the blower itself, then some of the
ductwork/vents to see if you can isolate the noise? It sounds to me like
the blower may need some lubrication, but that's hard to tell from where
I'm sitting.

There should be a switch on the thermostat that says Auto and On. Switching
it to On should turn the fan on even if the thermostat isn't calling for
heat. You can use that to turn the fan On and Off by setting thermostat to
a low temperature. Since the furnace won't call for heat, Auto will be the
same as Off and On will be, well, On.

You should be able to isolate it if it happens every time the blower turns
off. By the way...No, it's not "normal".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe blower drive belt needs replacing?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

--
Mark P Williams

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 01:37:28 +0000, Mark P Williams
wrote:

My furnace appears to be functioning normally, no strange sound except
when it finishes and the thermostat clicks off... when the airflow stops
there is a horrid squeak, followed by another squeak and then a third...
this has been happening for quite sometime, with this being the third
winter in the house in the north east but to my ear it is getting
longer.

If this is normal and is just the sound of a vent closing, that would be
awesome but I'd like to check!

Could be that the damper just needs a squirt of lube on the hinges.

A lesser possibility is that something is rubbing as the furnace cools
down and the metal contracts.

The blower runs after the T-stat shuts off to utilize any heat left in
the heat exchanger. This adds to the overall efficiency as it is
blown into the house and does not escape to the outside vent or
chimney if there is one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

First time poster...

I'm fairly new to the US forced air furnace system, but my question is
something that I haven't gotten an answer to on google... so here I am.

My furnace appears to be functioning normally, no strange sound except
when it finishes and the thermostat clicks off... when the airflow stops
there is a horrid squeak, followed by another squeak and then a third...
this has been happening for quite sometime, with this being the third
winter in the house in the north east but to my ear it is getting
longer.

If this is normal and is just the sound of a vent closing, that would be
awesome but I'd like to check!

also the thermostat clicks off and the furnace takes a minute to shut
off... it is a high efficiency furnace installed in 02.

The shut-down delay is normal - the fan stays running untill the heat
exchanger sheds the majority of it's heat.

I suspect you have a direct drive fan, judging by the age. I'd be
suspicious you MAY have a bearing or bushing problem. Should not be
hard to determine with a bit of sleuthing.

Much appreciation to anyone out there who has a clue to what this could
be.

Thanks,

Mark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 02:25:15 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

As far as the squeak, have you tried having someone turn the fan on and
then off as you listen to first the blower itself, then some of the
ductwork/vents to see if you can isolate the noise? It sounds to me like
the blower may need some lubrication, but that's hard to tell from where
I'm sitting.

The blower should be lubricated on all furnaces at least on a year.
It dont sound like you have done this. Just begin by lubricating the
blower and the blower motor. Normally 3 to 6 drops of a light oil in
each bearing. (Some modern motors do not have oil holes. They are
supposed to be lubricated for life). If the blower has a V-belt (fan
belt), that could squeak too.

Lube it, then watch the blower while someone shuts off the furnace.

Senior Member

Personally, I wouldn't lubricate anything until I found out what was squeeking.

The way you pinpoint the source of noises in machinery is with an inexpensive tool (typically $15 to $20) called a "mechanic's stethoscope" which you can buy at any place that specializes in automotive mechanic's tools:

You simply touch the metal probe of the stethoscope against any part you suspect of making noise, and the closer the probe is touched to the source of the noise, the louder the noise will be heard through the earphones. In this way, you can quickly and easily pinpoint the source of noises in all kinds of machinery, and that includes finding out where that squeek is coming from in your furnace.

I have a $15 Lisle mechanic's stethoscope that I've been using for over 20 years to find the sources of noises in the machinery in my apartment block, like the washing machines and clothes dryers. For a cheap tool, it works surprisingly well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've hosted many such initiations. After a while,
I earned the exalted title of "Top Posting Moron".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

POSTING VIRGIN! EVERYBODY PILE ON! ^_^

Hmm, a gang flame?

No, initiation. We have to make him crawl around on all fours, eat
worms, bark like a dog then take a paddling. Then he can join the
fraternity. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Agree to the damper thing. On my unit, I have a zone controller, now with
3 zones. With the everything off, all 3 zone dampers are wide open.
When 1 zone
calls, the other 2 will close. At the end of the cycle, those 2 zone
dampers
will again open. They are electrically held open and when 24 volts is
removed,
the damper closes via some type of spring return.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark P Williams wrote:
-snip-

My furnace appears to be functioning normally, no strange sound except
when it finishes and the thermostat clicks off... when the airflow stops
there is a horrid squeak, followed by another squeak and then a third...
this has been happening for quite sometime, with this being the third
winter in the house in the north east but to my ear it is getting
longer.

Here is what should be the sequence of events;
1. thermostat shuts off;- you might hear a click [from the thermostat]
2. burner finishes cycle- when it stops you should just hear the pump
and 'fire' stop.
3. The fan will continue to run until the plenum reaches a pre-set
temp. When the fan stops, if all is well, you'll hear nothing. if
the fan stops with a squeak, then you might have a belt driven fan
that needs tightening/replacing.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 9:49*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mark P Williams wrote:
-snip-

[...]

Wouldn't the fan belt squeak on startup, not shut down?

I'm thinking of the squeal that a loose automobile fan belt makes as a
car accelerates. It doesn't squeal once you reach a steady state speed
or when you take your foot off the gas because it's not going to slip
as it slows down.

Wouldn't the same thing occur in a furnace - slippage on startup but
no more torque (?) once the motor shuts down, therefore no squeal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've noted more fan belt squeak on start up.
Motor comes to life, but the blower fan still
standing still.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Wouldn't the fan belt squeak on startup, not shut down?

I'm thinking of the squeal that a loose automobile fan belt makes as a
car accelerates. It doesn't squeal once you reach a steady state speed
or when you take your foot off the gas because it's not going to slip
as it slows down.

Wouldn't the same thing occur in a furnace - slippage on startup but
no more torque (?) once the motor shuts down, therefore no squeal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
-snip-

Wouldn't the fan belt squeak on startup, not shut down?

I'm thinking of the squeal that a loose automobile fan belt makes as a
car accelerates. It doesn't squeal once you reach a steady state speed
or when you take your foot off the gas because it's not going to slip
as it slows down.

Wouldn't the same thing occur in a furnace - slippage on startup but
no more torque (?) once the motor shuts down, therefore no squeal.

You might be right. It has been a long time since I had that squeak.
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 9:56*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

Wouldn't the fan belt squeak on startup, not shut down?

I'm thinking of the squeal that a loose automobile fan belt makes as a
car accelerates. It doesn't squeal once you reach a steady state speed
or when you take your foot off the gas because it's not going to slip
as it slows down.

Wouldn't the same thing occur in a furnace - slippage on startup but
no more torque (?) once the motor shuts down, therefore no squeal.

You might be right. * It has been a long time since I had that squeak.
Jim

The squeek may occur only in a certain range of speeds. On start-up,
the motor/fan goes thru that speed range very quickly, so no squeek.
On shut-down, the fan/motor coasts down relatively slowly, spending
more time in the speed range where there is a squeek. So you hear it
only on shut-down, not on start-up.

I agree to not oiling until noise is located, but oiling once a year
is a very good practice to save bearings and $$$.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:37:28 PM UTC-5, Mark P Williams wrote:
My furnace appears to be functioning normally, no strange sound except
when it finishes and the thermostat clicks off... when the airflow stops
there is a horrid squeak, followed by another squeak and then a third...
this has been happening for quite sometime, with this being the third
winter in the house in the north east but to my ear it is getting
longer.
If this is normal and is just the sound of a vent closing, that would be
awesome but I'd like to check!

Not normal.

Also not rocket science to run over to the furnace, stand there and LISTEN to see if you can narrow down the source of the sound.

You should also consider calling a professional. An experienced reputable professional has certainly seen this exact problem before and should have a pretty good idea what the problem probably is without even hearing the noise or looking at the unit. All he'll need to know is the model of the unit and the circumstances under which the noise happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 10:56:52 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
-snip-

Wouldn't the fan belt squeak on startup, not shut down?

I'm thinking of the squeal that a loose automobile fan belt makes as a
car accelerates. It doesn't squeal once you reach a steady state speed
or when you take your foot off the gas because it's not going to slip
as it slows down.

Wouldn't the same thing occur in a furnace - slippage on startup but
no more torque (?) once the motor shuts down, therefore no squeal.

You might be right. It has been a long time since I had that squeak.
Jim

On my old belt drive 2 speed furnace fan the belt chirped every time
the fan swirched from high (heat or cool) to low (standby circulation)
and not when starting. The inertia of the spinning fan was higher than
the accereation torque of the motor. Switching to low was like
slamming the brakes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 2:39*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 10:55:56 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "

wrote:

I agree to not oiling until noise is located, but oiling once a year
is a very good practice to save bearings and $$$.

I never thought of oiling anything on my furnace. *That's just not in
any maintenance schedule for it. *In fact it has no maintenance
schedule. *Maybe change the filter when it gets dirty.
Mine is 15 years old with no powered vents, and the OP never said he
had them either, or I missed that.
Mine had a squeak about the time I had a HVAC guy in to replace the
motherboard, about 5 years ago. *Squeaked for some seconds near
starting and stopping. *Wasn't "horrible," *but wasn't good either.
Might have been a squeal instead of a squeak. *Definitely not a chirp.
The HVAC guy fixed it in about 10 seconds, with a wrench. *I forgot
what he said. *Think there's a squirrel cage adjustment.
I'm not going to even look at it because mine is probably completely
different that the OP's, and the OP didn't give enough info to work
with.
But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it.
He's more likely to screw something up by squirting oil than to help
anything unless he knows exactly what he's doing.

But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it.

Ahh...a possible case of "Just because you never had one doesn't mean
that they don't exist." ;-)

My previous furnace, a 1950's era Perfection, had a spring loaded cap
on each side of the blower motor.. The instructions suggested the use
of a few drops of oil in each hole once a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That brings back some memories. It was maybe 1991, and night time. The
blower on my furnace started to really totally squeal. I pulled a couple
bolts, and the blower housing came out. Found a couple of oil holes on the
motor. Dripped on some 10w30 which was what I had. Formed a bit of an air
lock, so I poked around in the bubble with a bent out paper clip. After a
while, it took some oil, and the fan worked a lot quieter. That was before I
had a HVAC job, glad I was able to figure it out on my own.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it.
He's more likely to screw something up by squirting oil than to help
anything unless he knows exactly what he's doing.

But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it.

Ahh...a possible case of "Just because you never had one doesn't mean
that they don't exist." ;-)

My previous furnace, a 1950's era Perfection, had a spring loaded cap
on each side of the blower motor.. The instructions suggested the use
of a few drops of oil in each hole once a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it.
He's more likely to screw something up by squirting oil than to help
anything unless he knows exactly what he's doing.

But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it.

Ahh...a possible case of "Just because you never had one doesn't mean
that they don't exist." *;-)

My previous furnace, a 1950's era Perfection, had a spring loaded cap
on each side of the blower motor.. The instructions suggested the use
of a few drops of oil in each hole once a year.

My Perfection had a large door (maybe 2' x 3.5', it's been a while)
with a handle that gave you easy access to the blower assembly. It was
behind this door that you had access to the filter, blower motor with
it's oil inlets, the squirrel cage, the belt, etc. Everything blower
related was behind that door and readily accessible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:23:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Ahh...a possible case of "Just because you never had one doesn't mean
that they don't exist." ;-)

Not possible, because I never said that, and won't.

My previous furnace, a 1950's era Perfection, had a spring loaded cap
on each side of the blower motor.. The instructions suggested the use
of a few drops of oil in each hole once a year.

Well, maybe we'll see if the OP can find an oil cup.
And maybe we'll never know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unlike the modern furnce, where you can't get to any thing at all.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My Perfection had a large door (maybe 2' x 3.5', it's been a while)
with a handle that gave you easy access to the blower assembly. It was
behind this door that you had access to the filter, blower motor with
it's oil inlets, the squirrel cage, the belt, etc. Everything blower
related was behind that door and readily accessible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2013 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Perfection had a large door (maybe 2' x 3.5', it's been a while)
with a handle that gave you easy access to the blower assembly. It was
behind this door that you had access to the filter, blower motor with
it's oil inlets, the squirrel cage, the belt, etc. Everything blower
related was behind that door and readily accessible.

Agreed! Those were the good ol' days. Then some unsupervised 5-year-old
turned the handle, opened the access door, stuck is finger in and was
injured. His mother called the local product liability attorney and
the rest his history.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The "old iron" needed regular oiling, but the OIP said new in 2002 -
MOST had gone to direct drive permanently lubricated by that
timeframe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 16:48:35 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Unlike the modern furnce, where you can't get to any thing at all.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

My Perfection had a large door (maybe 2' x 3.5', it's been a while)
with a handle that gave you easy access to the blower assembly. It was
behind this door that you had access to the filter, blower motor with
it's oil inlets, the squirrel cage, the belt, etc. Everything blower
related was behind that door and readily accessible.

On my 7 year old ? "modern" furnace I can still get at everything
quite easily. Lnowing what to do with it might be a different story!!

I DID manage to fix the shirp/squeal fron the inductor fan. The web
was loose in the cub - I brazed it up over 5 years ago (dealers had no
new parts in stock - part was covered by warrantee but not labour)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 17:28:42 -0500, John Smith
wrote:

On 1/7/2013 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Perfection had a large door (maybe 2' x 3.5', it's been a while)
with a handle that gave you easy access to the blower assembly. It was
behind this door that you had access to the filter, blower motor with
it's oil inlets, the squirrel cage, the belt, etc. Everything blower
related was behind that door and readily accessible.

Agreed! Those were the good ol' days. Then some unsupervised 5-year-old
turned the handle, opened the access door, stuck is finger in and was
injured. His mother called the local product liability attorney and
the rest his history.

Even my 38 year old one had a safety switch on the cover. Cover
open? no fan, unless you stuck a cheater tab into the switch slot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/7/2013 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My Perfection had a large door (maybe 2' x 3.5', it's been a while)
with a handle that gave you easy access to the blower assembly. It was
behind this door that you had access to the filter, blower motor with
it's oil inlets, the squirrel cage, the belt, etc. Everything blower
related was behind that door and readily accessible.

Agreed! Those were the good ol' days. *Then some unsupervised 5-year-old
turned the handle, opened the access door, stuck is finger in and was
injured. *His mother called the local product liability *attorney and
the rest his history.

* Even my 38 year old one had a safety switch on the cover. Cover
open? no fan, unless you stuck a cheater tab into the switch slot.

No safety switch on the blower door of the Perfection.

In fact, it was even less safe than that...

The instructions included a section on how to heat the house during a
power failure. You could manually open the main gas valve and push in
a tab that would hold the valve open. No power meant no blower and no
high temperature cutoff.

The instructions said to use a 10 minute on - 30 minute off duty
cycle, but it was completely manual. Fall asleep and it would stay on
for hours. I assume bad things could happen, especially to the heat
exchanger with no blower to remove the heat.

When the gas valve went bad, they had to replace it with a modern one
that no longer had that "feature". The next winter we had an ice storm
and I was without power (and my furnace) for 4 days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And then, someone gave me Derby's furnace with the door!

Hey, I'll give it back, OK?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

eb.com...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have totally no confidence that any lubrication is
permanant. Yeah, oilite bronze bearings, and all.
But, I don't believe it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

The "old iron" needed regular oiling, but the OIP said new in 2002 -
MOST had gone to direct drive permanently lubricated by that
timeframe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have long believed that you are exceptional.
My gut sense, through the usenet group, is that
you have a wide variety of skills.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

On my 7 year old ? "modern" furnace I can still get at everything
quite easily. Lnowing what to do with it might be a different story!!

I DID manage to fix the shirp/squeal fron the inductor fan. The web
was loose in the cub - I brazed it up over 5 years ago (dealers had no
new parts in stock - part was covered by warrantee but not labour)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yow, life imitates fiction. In my book "Custodian
Plus" I wrote of the gas valve on the steam boiler,
and how the custodian was able to "throw the
lever" and open the gas valve, during the power
cut. Thanks, glad to know it's not totally fiction.

I've heard that 12 vdc will open some "modern"
gas valves. 24 VDC (two car batteries in series)
might work instead of 24 VAC. Don't know.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

The instructions included a section on how to heat the house during a
power failure. You could manually open the main gas valve and push in
a tab that would hold the valve open. No power meant no blower and no
high temperature cutoff.

The instructions said to use a 10 minute on - 30 minute off duty
cycle, but it was completely manual. Fall asleep and it would stay on
for hours. I assume bad things could happen, especially to the heat
exchanger with no blower to remove the heat.

When the gas valve went bad, they had to replace it with a modern one
that no longer had that "feature". The next winter we had an ice storm
and I was without power (and my furnace) for 4 days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:31:07 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I have totally no confidence that any lubrication is
permanant. Yeah, oilite bronze bearings, and all.
But, I don't believe it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .

The "old iron" needed regular oiling, but the OIP said new in 2002 -
MOST had gone to direct drive permanently lubricated by that
timeframe.

"permanently lubed" really means "lubed for life" - as in, when the
lub runs out, it's done. Some stuff cannot be lubed without total
dissassembly. Some things you can puncture and oil - and some things
just totally go heck in a handbasket if you get the wrong kind of oil
in trying to do right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:35:37 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

That's what the old Onan single lunger out in the garage is for. If
the power is out long enough to get dangerously cold inside, I go out
and connect the Onan and start pulling on the (non recoil) rope
starter. I'll get warmed up, even if the genny doesn't start and I
don't get the furnace running... The thing is definitely old enough to
vote - I doubt it's older than be, but it could be pretty close. I've
got a disconnect in the garage that lets me tap into the furnace
circuit in the winter and the freezer/fridge i n the summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:32:19 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I have long believed that you are exceptional.
My gut sense, through the usenet group, is that
you have a wide variety of skills.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Thanks. Wide and long experience, and necessity being the mother of
invention, and all that. - a voracious reader with extremely varied
interests.

wrote in message
.. .

On my 7 year old ? "modern" furnace I can still get at everything
quite easily. Lnowing what to do with it might be a different story!!

I DID manage to fix the shirp/squeal fron the inductor fan. The web
was loose in the cub - I brazed it up over 5 years ago (dealers had no
new parts in stock - part was covered by warrantee but not labour)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lubed for life, backwards, means it dies when
the lube runs out.

I've had to drill, and pump some oil in. At least
once, in the last few weeks.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

"permanently lubed" really means "lubed for life" - as in, when the
lub runs out, it's done. Some stuff cannot be lubed without total
dissassembly. Some things you can puncture and oil - and some things
just totally go heck in a handbasket if you get the wrong kind of oil
in trying to do right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How old you figure, in dog years?

Don't tell me, you're backfeeding?