Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Furnace squeaks when it turns off

DerbyDad03 wrote:
-snip-

Wouldn't the fan belt squeak on startup, not shut down?

I'm thinking of the squeal that a loose automobile fan belt makes as a
car accelerates. It doesn't squeal once you reach a steady state speed
or when you take your foot off the gas because it's not going to slip
as it slows down.

Wouldn't the same thing occur in a furnace - slippage on startup but
no more torque (?) once the motor shuts down, therefore no squeal.

You might be right. It has been a long time since I had that squeak.
Jim