Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Took some photos in the shop today....

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
I heard that it was a failed military prototype, intended to be
backed into battle so their exploding gas tank would take out the
enemy.
;-)

I gained more respect for and took better care of my 12 year old,
$200
VW Beetle after an Army buddy showed me his new Pinto.

I know that it's odd, but I don't remember ever seeing one without
rust or dents.

The rust on my VW was from the salt on icy winter roads and the dents
from rocks and trees, as it could go where hardly anything else could.
The Jeep guys who brag about their 4WD agility were notable for their
absence. After driving an M151 Jeep long distances on the German
Autobahn to reach remote radio relay sites I can see why.

I helped pull a VW out of a sandpit pond after the kids inside
misjudged their hill-climbing skill. The waterline was at about the
top of the rear fender well. We were on dirt bikes and had no rope or
winches, but fortunately VWs are light enough to manhandle.

People used to tell me to sell my stepvan & buy a 4W drive jeep for a
service vehicle. I just laughed at them, and later saw them stuck in a
snowbank & too far away to reach with the chains I had, so they had to
wait & pay for a wrecker. My tyuck weighed 6150 pounds without all the
tools, parts & manuals + a full 30 gallon tank.

It's a good thing the old VWs would float for a while.