Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jonathan Banquer Jonathan Banquer is offline

Default Old fart honey question

On Jan 3, 4:27*am, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Jonathan Banquer" wrote in message

...It's why most engineers can't machine their way out of a
paper bag. Like you, they think they're smarter than real machinists
and that their smarts can make up for the experience of cutting lots
and lots of different parts made out of different materials. Here is
news flash for you bubba... it can't.

That certainly wasn't the case at Segway where the engineers
monopolized the CNC machines and forced me to use the manual ones.

The flip side is machinists with no clue about Statics or Dynamics who
take shortcuts like this one that caused the Kansas City Skyway
collapse. In case the explanation isn't clear, the threads bore the
load meant to be carried by the core of the rod. Unless the coupler
has been carefully dimensioned to stretch at the same rate as the rod,
the threads will fail progressively inwards from the ends at a load
far below the rod's tensile strength. Nonintuitively a thicker coupler
makes a weaker connection by concentrating the load on the first few
threads instead of distributing it over all of them. I learned this
from a lecture by the accident investigator.http://www.churcharchitect.net/1142004.htm

jsw

There is no flip side. You either pay your dues making lots of
different parts from lots of different materials and become a real
machinist or you don't. You don't need a CNC machine to make lots of
different parts from lots of different materials.