david

Default Prefinished hardwood flooring installation question

Look at http://www.nofma.org/installation.htm (NOFMA: The Wood Flooring
Manufacturers Association)

they state that 3/4 OSB is an acceptable subfloor. They dont
specifically say it's ok to go parallel to the joists with that, though.
I think it would be wise to add the plywood if going parallel to the
joists...

david

MacBain wrote:

As a long time lurker and occasional contributor to this group I
realize this may not be the correct to post this message but I'm going
to do it anyway. :-)

I'm a competent amateur woodworker,
http://bmacgillivray.ott.istop.com/w.../projects.html and
have done my fair share of home renovation projects but I've never
installed hardwood flooring before. I've read up on it on a few web
sites and perused the flooring book from the Borg and in all cases
they suggest runing the flooring strips at right angles to the joists.
Esthetically, this will not work in our house.

The current subfloor is 3/4" osb and is in ok condition. I read
someplace that to install the flooring parallel to the joists an extra
1/2" plywood layer would be a good idea. Is this necessary or is is
overkill?

TIA
BMG