Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Basic photo question

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 13:32:27 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Let's say that I change my setting for either aperture, speed, or manual
priority.

I set the aperture for depth of focus, and the camera selects the speed.
I set the speed to freeze motion, and the camera selects the aperture.
I put it on manual, and can set both, even intentionally off if I want to.

Now, the question. I turn on the flash.

Does the camera use the settings I put in, or does it go into control of the
camera, and change any of the settings? I have taken many photos of the
same thing at many various settings, and I do know the photos come out
differently. I was just wondering about this part of the camera's actual
functioning.

I apologize for the basic question, but I want to learn this from the ABC's
up, and I have a few missing letters.

Steve

It depends on the type of camera..and the shutter mechanism.

If its a "focal plane shutter" the camera will set the shutter speed
to the X sinc speed..generally 1/ 60th of a second and then you or
the camera will adjust the iris...the F stop to capture the proper
amount of light.

If its an "iris" shutter..IE the lens opens and closes a shutter
mechanism like the apeture mechanism..the camera will be setable for a
range of shutter speeds and apeture settings. Pretty much the same
for a simple "flipper" shutter, where the shutter simply swings to one
side and exposes the film/sensor.

With some of the newer cameras..with spot and multipoint metering..the
same basic settings are used, however the cameras computer (or you)
will sometimes play with the shutter speed AND the F stop settings
assuming its not a focal plane shutter. Those are hard to "futz with"
..
The problem with focal plane shutters..IE..a long thin "window" that
travels from one end of the film/sensor to the other..is that its
travels at a rate that may be longer or shorter than the duration of
the flash. If the shutter opens when the flash is at its
brightest..and closes before the flash duration goes dim..you are ok.
If it happens the other way around..you will have one side of the
photo nice and well exposed..and then start fading towards black on
the other side. With the old slow flashes..that flash was bright for
a long duration. The newer High speed flashes put out a ****load of
light..but for a shorter time frame. With a normal "iris" type
shutter..thats cool. For a focal plane shutter..it sucks badly.

Few focal plane shutters expose the entire sensor/film at the same
time..ie..opens up wide so the entire sensitive surface gets the light
all at the same time.

With the new cameras and much smaller sensors..this is changing.

Gunner

1. Lie