Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Basic photo question

Jon Elson wrote in
:

Steve B wrote:

Now, the question. I turn on the flash.

Does the camera use the settings I put in, or does it go into control
of

I really think you'd have to read the specific instruction book for
that camera to know what they do in this case. Under almost all
circumstances, the camera SHOULD change the exposure quite a bit,
although the flash duration to some extent becomes the shutter speed.
In all the auto modes, it should adjust to the flash being enabled.
In the manual mode, a professional photographer would pre-set
the aperture and shutter for desired result with the flash. But,
most consumer-grade cameras assume the user is an idiot, and
automate anything they can, in some cases making things hard
if you know what you are doing.

In more sophisticated 35mm SLR film camera systems, you could set the
aperture, and the exposure could be controlled by quenching the flash
when enough light had hit the film. By not completely discharging the
flash cap, they could recharge the flash faster as well. My Olympus OM-2
did that if you used the Olympus flash designed for it. They actually
had a sensor in the camera that looked at the amount of light hitting the
film.

I haven't paid much attention to the inner working of the newer digital
cameras, so I don't know at what price/quality level they might start
playing those sorts of games.

Doug White