Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Basic photo question

On 1/1/2013 12:32 PM, Steve B wrote:
Let's say that I change my setting for either aperture, speed, or manual
priority.

I set the aperture for depth of focus, and the camera selects the speed.
I set the speed to freeze motion, and the camera selects the aperture.
I put it on manual, and can set both, even intentionally off if I want to.

Now, the question. I turn on the flash.

Does the camera use the settings I put in, or does it go into control of the
camera, and change any of the settings? I have taken many photos of the
same thing at many various settings, and I do know the photos come out
differently. I was just wondering about this part of the camera's actual
functioning.

I apologize for the basic question, but I want to learn this from the ABC's
up, and I have a few missing letters.

Flash is a whole other branch of photography.
Probably depends a lot on the exact model camera and flash as well as
what flash mode you're in. (assuming digital, not sure about film
cameras, been far too long since I played with 35mm SLR/flash)

Maybe someone that knows more can give you a fairly generic answer, but
I'd suggest finding a good web forum specific to your brand camera and
asking. I have two Sony DSLR's and frequent Dyxum.com, but there's good
forums for other brands too.

Jon