Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Preppers

Friday October 13, 2006
The weather guys have been saying that we are going
to have freezing rain. But, the freezing rain did not materialize. Actually,
it's in the fifties,
and very comfortable.

I stopped in Home Depot, to buy a couple of small
things. There were two people in the parking lot, loading generators into
their vehicles. And
I go into the store, there was another generator at the check out. I asked
one of the folks who
worked there, why the rush on generators, what was going on. She told me
that there had been a major
ice storm in Buffalo, and people were coming from there, to get generators.
All the oens closer
to home had been sold out. I had been listening to
the radio, and had neard nothing about this.

From: "Christopher Young"
Date: Monday, October 16, 2006 11:41 PM

I'm a bit exhausted from a full day. So, the sitrep
will be painfully brief.

They lost power about 9 PM Thursday. They had just bought
catfood, so the kitties have plenty to eat. However,
the post office shut down with the storm. That means
no paycheck.

Loaded the truck Monday, figured to go drive the generator
to Buffalo, in case they wanted me to run their furnace. I
got interrupted by a work call. Stopped for a slice of pizza,
don't like to travel on an empty stomach. Left here
noon or so. Went to a discount food place on the way. Bought
a few things. Dish soap, shampoo, some cans of Vienna sausages,
loaf of bread. I brought a frozen pack of hot dogs from my
own freezer.

I arrived Monday late afternoon. About 3 PM. Banged on
the door, and Louie came to the door. He'd been high stress
for the last couple days. Hardly eaten, or slept. It took
him quite a while to realize that I brought a generator. And
could run the furnace. At 58F, it was almost warmer outside
than inside.

As we started to roll out electric cords, I realized they have
electric range, not gas range. Blast, I thought it was gas. I
asked what's the biggest need. Heat into the house. I'd
brought a couple extension cords. We rolled em out, and I
wired a cord into the furnace. Nice to go back down and see
gas flames rolling into the combustion chamber. And then the
blower came on. Sweeet!

They were hungry. I suggested we run the microwave on the
generator. But, they wanted to eat out. We ate out. Chance to
catch up on news.

They were hearing about the storm on Thursday. They got sent
home from work early. And a good thing, too. Aparently didn't
occur to them to buy some supplies on the way home. The
power went out about 9 PM, and the phone went out about 11 PM,
Thursday. A tree took down the phone line. They spent the day
with a shovel, trying to keep the driveway clear. And did some muscle
strain, doing that. It warmed up, and most of the
snow melted.

Some other folks had water in the cellar, but they were good.
The sump crock was full, and also the drains around the cellar.
But no water on the cellar floor. As the house warmed, I ran
power to the sump pump, and pumped out the water from the drainage system.

I got out the chainsaw, and started dicing up the tree that was
in their back yard. Maple, nice wood. Shame to see it
down, lets hope someone can use it for firewood. Ran a tank of gas,
and that was enough for the day. The house had warmed up.

We went to a laundrymat. I suggested the washing machine on
generator power, but they wanted to run several loads at the
same time. Get it over. The first laundry was packed with people.
And the second one. Finally found one with a washer or two open.
I got to ask them the "sitrep". While the clothes were washing.

* They weren't sure if the natural gas fired hot water heater
was working. The thermostat got bumped, gosh knows how, and the
water was coming out lukewarm. They didn't think to turn up the
thermostat to a hotter setting. They were discussing if the water
heater needs electricity. No, it does not.
* They were discussing and thinking generator. I suggested a few
things they could do, far less expensive than a generator. They
didn't act like they even heard my suggestion. They are going to contact the
mortgage company for their house, and ask for a
payment holiday for a couple months, to free up some money for
the generator. In other words, thier survival depends on the
decision of the mortgage company.
* I remembered they had a gas range but find out when I arrived,
that I was mistaken. They have electric range. So, I didn't
bring a camp stove. Or, a propane heater. That was negligent of me.
* They were hungry, having little food in the house, and the
food they had required cooking. Just not taking the time to go
shopping. Some stores in the area were open. They could have gone
and bought food.
* Generator is nice, but it's a big step for new home owners.
Smaller but good step include propane heater, and camp stove.
While a generator and hookup might cost a grand, a camp stove
and infared heater and some propane bottles can all be had for
under a hundred dollars.
* After three years of discussion, they did finally get a cell
phone. Which works even with the power off. They didn't get the
12 volt vehicle charger. She's going to charge the phone at work.
If she remembers to put the charger in the car to take to work.
* One of the big needs was a battery alarm clock.
* Their big radio takes 8 D cells, the flash lights each take 2 D
cells. No spare batteries in the house.
* With food in the house, and a generator to run the microwave
(and a paycheck not yet arrived), their dinner option was to go
out to a diner and put the bill on their credit card.
* Some of the local stores got power back, so life is getting
slowly back to normal.
* The paycheck is still in the postal system, and won't
be arrived for quite a while. They suggest direct deposit
for all persons who can get such.
* They also suggest both No-Refrigeration food. And that
should also be No-Cook food. Some to be kept in the house.
Fruit granola bars, that kind of thing is good. They suggest
keeping some dry catfood at home. The canned stuff isn't as
likely to be eaten when it's cold. I had to head for home
while the laundry was running. By this time, they had not
gone to the store for no cook food.
* They had discussed a cell phone for the last three years.
Finally they did get one, today, and the cell phone works.
They got the 110 volt charger, she'll bring it and the charger
to work tomorrow. If work calls. Good thing I came over today,
as they may or may not be home tomorrow and the rest of the
week.

They were surprised and pleased to see me. And very thankful
for the assistance. The warmth, and company was much
appreciated. I got to play with my toys, and they got some
comfort.

Christopher A. Young