Richard Savage

Default Inches or Metric?

IMM wrote:

I was brought in imperial and as soon as I was old enough to use it we
started to go metric. Metric is far, far better. When doing calcs it is so
easy.

I would disagree with what you say about the decimal system being easier than
duodecimal for calculations. Think of how many numbers divide evenly into 12
and compare that with number for 10.

Unfortunately, I went through priamry school at a time when not only was the
metric system just in place but mental arithmetic and, in particular, wrote
learning of tables were completely out of favour. Thus, my maths is not up to
properly argueing the benefits of duodecimal systems over decimal systems.

IIRC (probably not!) the Summarians (sp?) had a duodecimal numbering system and
the method of time divison may be attributed to them. (Someone will no doubt
correct me on that one!)

Richard