Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Daniel James[_2_] Daniel James[_2_] is offline

Default OT - configuring PAN newsreader -Xpost

In article 20121225125913.748f09ba@hyperion, Rob Morley wrote:
Actually I've been happily using Unity since Ubuntu 12.04 was
released. It's not brilliant but I don't think it's as terrible as
some people would have you believe.

I sorta agree ... Unity is a brave attempt to do something new with the
desktop in the hope of making it easier (especially for non-techies) to
pick up and use. It's nice to see Canonical trying to improve on the
desktop metaphor rather than blindly copying Microsoft as just about
everyone else seems to have done ... and a shame they haven't made a
better job of it!

Unity grew out of Ubuntu Netbook Remix when Canonical (or rather, Mark
Shuttleworth) began to be dissatisfied with what the Gnome team were
doing. I can see why that was done. It's unfortunate that staying with
Gnome 2 wasn't a viable option, but there it is.

I don't particularly like the way the dash is evolving, but as long as
I can turn off the Amazon links (I'm one of those rare people who has
still never bought from Amazon) I don't find it too bad.

The global menu, though, on anything but a maximized window, is an
piece of arrant lunacy that deserves all the scorn and contempt that it
has received. And more.

Cheers,
Daniel.