Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Programmable Thermostat

.. wrote:
[When I ask for help, I expect the responses to be helpful (not
insulting)].

I have a Totaline Model P474-1035 Programmable 5-2 day Digital
Thermostat.

In the owner's manual, in the "Normal Operation" section, the "Manual
Thermostat Operation" instructions say to:

1. Set the program switch to "OFF".

2. Set the mode switch to "Heat" or "Cool". (Since I don't need
cooling in the winter, I've set the mode switch to "Heat").

3. Set the fan switch to "On" or "Auto". (Since I don't want the fan
to run all the time, I've set the fan switch to "Auto").

4. Use the "Up" or "Down" buttons to set the desired temperature.
(I've set the desired temperature to 78 degrees)

If the current room temperature is 64 degrees, shouldn't the heat
come on immediately or is there a built-in delay?

That seems a lot more clear as to what your question is etc.

Since you have the thermostat set up to operate manually, the heat should
come on if the room temperature is 64 and you set the desired temperature to
78. There could be some delay in the heater coming on depending on what
type of heater you have etc., but the delay shouldn't be too long -- I'm
guessing a few minutes at the most.

If the heater isn't coming on, something else is wrong. Does your heater
have a little red indicator light on it that is either staying on constantly
or is blinking? If it is blinking, watch to see what the blinking sequence
is -- such as 3 blinks, etc. Then read the instructions on the front of the
heater that says what the different blinking sequences mean.