Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Alder Salad Bowl

Kevin Miller wrote:

Thanks. Tell your buddy to look up a local chapter of the AAW
(http://www.woodturner.org/) if he hasn't already. It's amazing how
many turners out there never really learned to turn properly and spend
way too much effort getting poor results. (I'm speaking of technique,
not necessarily the end result. With persistence and sandpaper poor
technique can be over come.) So much more fun to get a clean cut
right off the bat though and just have minimal sanding. If he can
get to know some of the good turners in a club I'd bet they'd be
happy to give him some pointers.

Funny you should say that about technique versus persistence. When I looked
at your bowls, I thought that I have no real appreciation for this. Not
that they didn't look nice - I had no appreciation for what it takes to make
them. As one who have never so much as turned a lathe on, I've certainly
never turned anything on a lathe, so it's all lost on me when it comes to
appreciating what may have gone into a particular piece of work.

--

-Mike-