Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Alder Salad Bowl

Another bowl that's hot off the lathe - finished it a couple weeks ago.
This is some alder that i was given about this time last year.

It's finished with walnut oil which makes a great salad bowl finish - it
actually polymerizes (dries) but doesn't build to a very thick shiny
finish. It has a nice satin luster, brings out the figure in the wood,
adds a bit of amber color, and doesn't feel greasy like other kitchen
oils do.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Attached Thumbnails
Alder Salad Bowl-2012-12-21_20-40-26-jpg  Alder Salad Bowl-2012-12-21_20-40-40-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
Another bowl that's hot off the lathe - finished it a couple weeks ago.
This is some alder that i was given about this time last year.

It's finished with walnut oil which makes a great salad bowl finish - it
actually polymerizes (dries) but doesn't build to a very thick shiny
finish. It has a nice satin luster, brings out the figure in the wood,
adds a bit of amber color, and doesn't feel greasy like other kitchen
oils do.

...Kevin

Very good work!

--
G.W. Ross

'Bother,' said Pooh, as he saw the
mushroom cloud.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 12/22/2012 08:12 AM, jloomis wrote:
enjoyed the viewing of your bowls.
sent the pictures to my friend who is taking up lathe work.

Thanks. Tell your buddy to look up a local chapter of the AAW
(http://www.woodturner.org/) if he hasn't already. It's amazing how
many turners out there never really learned to turn properly and spend
way too much effort getting poor results. (I'm speaking of technique,
not necessarily the end result. With persistence and sandpaper poor
technique can be over come.) So much more fun to get a clean cut right
off the bat though and just have minimal sanding. If he can get to know
some of the good turners in a club I'd bet they'd be happy to give him
some pointers.

By the way, I "stole" your photo of all the driftwood on the beach and
made it my background on my computer at work. Hope you don't mind - it's
just such a great shot...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I forwarded your message to him.
I do not mind you using my pictures at all.
I am glad you like it.
It is such a beautiful place in person.........
and early in the morning is special.
We also post on alt.binaries.photos.original
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 20:36:48 -0900, Kevin Miller
wrote:

Another bowl that's hot off the lathe - finished it a couple weeks ago.
This is some alder that i was given about this time last year.

I'll have to look up recipes for Alder Salad.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:

Thanks. Tell your buddy to look up a local chapter of the AAW
(http://www.woodturner.org/) if he hasn't already. It's amazing how
many turners out there never really learned to turn properly and spend
way too much effort getting poor results. (I'm speaking of technique,
not necessarily the end result. With persistence and sandpaper poor
technique can be over come.) So much more fun to get a clean cut
right off the bat though and just have minimal sanding. If he can
get to know some of the good turners in a club I'd bet they'd be
happy to give him some pointers.

Funny you should say that about technique versus persistence. When I looked
at your bowls, I thought that I have no real appreciation for this. Not
that they didn't look nice - I had no appreciation for what it takes to make
them. As one who have never so much as turned a lathe on, I've certainly
never turned anything on a lathe, so it's all lost on me when it comes to
appreciating what may have gone into a particular piece of work.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 12/23/2012 04:03 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Funny you should say that about technique versus persistence. When I looked
at your bowls, I thought that I have no real appreciation for this. Not
that they didn't look nice - I had no appreciation for what it takes to make
them. As one who have never so much as turned a lathe on, I've certainly
never turned anything on a lathe, so it's all lost on me when it comes to
appreciating what may have gone into a particular piece of work.

I suppose it's that way for about anything. Most of us here do/have
done regular woodworking and appreciate the work that goes into design
as well as execution. But regular folks will look at something and not
see past the figure (or lack of it) in the wood. Of course, a piece
with nice figure and good design is a bonus but not every hunk of wood
has dramatic figure.

My goal is usually to make a pleasing shape regardless of the wood.
When I succeed, it's a nice piece. Not necessarily earth shaking but
pleasant. When I miss its obvious. It's kind of like road maintenance
crews - when they do their job right you never even notice. When they
don't you know it. :-)

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

Rowan salad bowl Kevin Miller[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 November 26th 11 02:23 AM
Salad Spoon trvlnmny Woodworking 12 July 29th 08 09:48 AM
kentucky salad tongs Thomas Satrom Woodworking 3 June 4th 05 05:27 PM
Salad bowl finishes robo hippy Woodturning 11 January 14th 05 06:26 AM
Design for salad servers Richard Woodturning 1 October 16th 04 05:02 PM