Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default dealing with woodturning jealousy

Recently I saw some very nice bowls on display for sale in a local eatery,
and also got the website particulars for the turner. Arrgh! I see his shop
and his work and I wanted to eat my liver! Waitaminnit, this ain't a real
healthy reaction, what to do? Well, He commented on having made an urn for a
friend's cremain, and how he was not really set up for that kind of project
and did not want to ackle it again. Hm... here's my way out. I am a
generalist and a tinkerer, not particularly skilled or excellent in any one
thing, but I guess my niche is no niche. I do not make any money with my
woodwork, I just like doing what I do.

So, my salve for turning jealousy is that I am willing to try different
things within the capabilities I think I have. I will not consider turning a
monstrous chunk of wood on my lathe, but will willingly work to the machine's
limits. I know that with the space I have, some projects will be generally
out of my range or scope - but I am willing to explore what I *can* do in the
space I have. I can and do make many of my own specialized tools for things
like vases or urns - and am willing to study up on buying a chuck for
expanding my repertoire further. (am a bit reluctant to part with any of my
dollars, each one is a close friend)

I'm more peaceful, now, and have a better outlook on other very excellent
work done by others, that I may never emulate. I will just try to do the very
best I can, in the projects that I *can* take on.

end of sermonette for this week in late December. Best wishes to all of you
sawdust eatin' turners out there.
tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.