Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default dealing with woodturning jealousy

Recently I saw some very nice bowls on display for sale in a local eatery,
and also got the website particulars for the turner. Arrgh! I see his shop
and his work and I wanted to eat my liver! Waitaminnit, this ain't a real
healthy reaction, what to do? Well, He commented on having made an urn for a
friend's cremain, and how he was not really set up for that kind of project
and did not want to ackle it again. Hm... here's my way out. I am a
generalist and a tinkerer, not particularly skilled or excellent in any one
thing, but I guess my niche is no niche. I do not make any money with my
woodwork, I just like doing what I do.

So, my salve for turning jealousy is that I am willing to try different
things within the capabilities I think I have. I will not consider turning a
monstrous chunk of wood on my lathe, but will willingly work to the machine's
limits. I know that with the space I have, some projects will be generally
out of my range or scope - but I am willing to explore what I *can* do in the
space I have. I can and do make many of my own specialized tools for things
like vases or urns - and am willing to study up on buying a chuck for
expanding my repertoire further. (am a bit reluctant to part with any of my
dollars, each one is a close friend)

I'm more peaceful, now, and have a better outlook on other very excellent
work done by others, that I may never emulate. I will just try to do the very
best I can, in the projects that I *can* take on.

end of sermonette for this week in late December. Best wishes to all of you
sawdust eatin' turners out there.
tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom koehler View Post
[...]

The best thing that your jealousy to that person's woodwork brought you is that it inspired you to do better with your craft. Each and everyone has a different skill that he can be proud of, one man may be best working with their bare hands, but not with tools. We cannot be Jack of all trades. Who knows maybe that same man maybe amazed with your crafts.

What I like about woodworking is that each piece can be uniquely done and there are no real rules on what is right and what is not, we can work freely and with our own rules. -yve

Last edited by yve lynch : January 3rd 13 at 11:00 AM

dealing with spam Tim[_28_] UK diy 0 October 31st 11 05:18 PM
OT - Conservatives are really poor losers and green with jealousy Ed Huntress Metalworking 0 January 19th 09 08:13 AM
dealing with a neighbor... Chris Home Repair 25 May 21st 08 05:22 AM
Dealing with Illegals Ted Home Repair 58 December 12th 07 11:47 AM
OT Dealing with a nuisance dog Rex B Metalworking 170 January 27th 05 12:32 AM