Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
On 21/12/2012 18:23, David WE Roberts wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
snip
If its been installed in an Asrock motherboard rather than the Asus
one you might have specced yourself, then yes.

snip

Interested that you seem to dislike AsRock - care to expand further?
I have an AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3

Dislike would be way too strong... "Leaning toward others in preference"
might be closer

(to be fair - the point I was making was that if you cut corners on
motherboard quality you lower the overall system reliability even if the
CPU is identical - and asrock was just the first name that came to mind
in the slightly cheaper end of the market)

I have had a pretty good experience with boards by asus - and hence they
are what I use in my own systems. Some of the others also offer good
facilities / price points etc, and I would certainly consider them -
asrock and MSI being examples. However IME they have not been quite as
reliable. I used to like gigabyte years ago for the feature set etc, but
got burned by rather too many failures and slightly suspect BIOS issues
for my liking)

OOI, I just had a look through the dead mobo pile I have waiting for
when I can be bothered to re-cap them - 3 MSI, one Acer, and one Biostar
- no asrock there at the moment ;-) (the MSI ones I may repair since
they have reasonably decent C2D E7600 CPUs and 4GB RAM - the others are
probably not worth it)

Are they really worth the time re-capping these days?..

As duff caps are the main source of MB failures, but that factory I
believe has either closed or they have now re instated the missing
ingredient!...

--
Tony Sayer