Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 17:02:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 20/12/12 13:33, tony sayer wrote:

WOC are good if you live near them and are going by there to pick
stuff up, but online suppliers provided you are ordering sufficient
to get free on inc carriage can be cheaper..

and less reliable.

What your saying that a hard disk in a sealed pack is less reliable?.

No what I am saying that the packs and the brands were always those that
Phil got the least returns on. He got his fingers burned in the Solidisk
days.

An LCD screen in the same makers box is less reliable?.

But it isn't in the same makers box largely. Its a different brand, or a
factory second or a reject.,

A CPU in an Intel sealed box is less reliable.

It is if you fit it yourself. The WOC guys insert em with antistatic
hooked up..and they ALWAYS get the pins straight.

I cant be arsed 'building' computers when for that extra 15% it gets
built for me and if its a flop its not my problem.

Every time we bought a NON WOC 'cheaper than WOC' computer it turned
out to be faulty, and we had to spend man hours trying to get out
money back, and in one case we never did.

Phil was always 15% more than the cheapest. Phil has never once failed
to get a dysfunctional machine working, or replace faulty parts under
warranty. That is a small price to pay.

Yes I do know the firm I go there *sometimes for odd bits like when we
need anything in a hurry, but otherwise online from a variety of
suppliers.

If they sodded us about like any supplier without good reason then we
simply do not go back there!.

It strikes me that these days how easy it is to set up and get going a
modern machine!....

IF the hardware plays nice, yes. Again been there done that. The
graphics card worked fine. The serial parallel port worked fine. The two
together in the same motherboard randomly crashed.

I dont need that ****.

Last time I went there to build a server I insisted on loading up Linux.
It failed to connect to the Ethernet. Their MB had faulty Ethernet
hardware. Changed it in the spot. NO sending back. No 'you must have
broken it..there will be a refund fee to cover shipping..we will fix it
and send it back' (and the same board comes back again and again unfixed
until you give up) - and that WAS brand new in the makers ( Intel)
carton.

* Like PC Wurld is the need is sufficiently pressing;!..

I needed an NVidia graphics card for this Linux (Nvidia have the best
Linux drivers). I walked into PC world and said 'which are the cards
with Nvidia chipsets' and will they fit my case?

No one had a clue. I phoned WOC, who looked up the machine I had, got
the correct Nvidia card in. took payment on the phone and a friend
picked it up on his way past..

Didn't you once say yu helped a friend set up WOC?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org