Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

On 20/12/12 11:59, tony sayer wrote:
The problem I have had in the past is that old cases don't fit new
motherboards, and cases are in any case cheap.

I think with olde stuff and machines if you've upped the RAM as much as
you can and have removed all the slowing down junk then you're done all
you reasonably can...

So I generally ask the question of my PC builder, and if the answer is
'it wont fit' get a new case.

The RAM doesn't fit either, and in fact usually the only components that
are reusable are the disk and CDROM drive, and if its that old,
generally I don't want the disk anyway.

So unless you can simply replace the CPU Id say replace the whole machine.

Its less expensive than you think. A CPU/board/RAM/Case/Disk/GPU setup
is generally sub £250 where I buy. I buy what's cheap and as fast as the
money will afford.

(http://www.woc.co.uk)

WOC are good if you live near them and are going by there to pick stuff
up, but online suppliers provided you are ordering sufficient to get
free on inc carriage can be cheaper..

and less reliable.

Every time we bought a NON WOC 'cheaper than WOC' computer it turned out
to be faulty, and we had to spend man hours trying to get out money
back, and in one case we never did.

Phil was always 15% more than the cheapest. Phil has never once failed
to get a dysfunctional machine working, or replace faulty parts under
warranty. That is a small price to pay.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.