Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

On Dec 19, 10:58*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 18/12/12 20:46, robgraham wrote: I've Dell Dimension 5000 which must be in the order of 7 or 8 years
old. *There's no problems with it apart from it being bit slow on
photo processing, which is the only processor intensive activity I do
apart form a bit of SketchUp and that seems OK.

Is it new wine into old bottles to consider a motherboard/processor
upgrade ? *If it's worth doing how do I work out what board type is in
it at the moment and what would I be best to look for ? *I'm quite
happy to go the Ebay path and look for someone else's upgrading cast-
off.

Thanks for any help

Rob

The problem I have had in the past is that old cases don't fit new
motherboards, and cases are in any case cheap.

So I generally ask the question of my PC builder, and if the answer is
'it wont fit' get a new case.

The RAM doesn't fit either, and in fact usually the only components that
are reusable are the disk and CDROM drive, and if its that old,
generally I don't want the disk anyway.

So unless you can simply replace the CPU Id say replace the whole machine..

Its less expensive than you think. A CPU/board/RAM/Case/Disk/GPU setup
is generally sub £250 where I buy. I buy what's cheap and as fast as the
money will afford.

(http://www.woc.co.uk)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Many thanks guys - I think by the time Dell got to this design of
machine, they had moved away from their dedicated components
philosophy - it is a standard board for the period in this machine,
with standard RAM and PSU. And again there's no BIOS/OS interlink
here and the HD is SATA.

However the points that you are making are all very valid and I thank
you all for going through the 'Disadvantages'.

So
Advantages -
Low Cost
Possibly retain all applications
Retain XP (for the moment)

Disadvantages -
MB form factor
RAM incompatability
PSU ditto (chickened out of typing that twice!)
Hassle factor getting it all to work

and so on for the other ones I can't remember, but that's enough to
convince me, though I will lose the fun of doing an Ebay search, bid,
etc., and I'll need to set aside some more pennies.

Again many thanks

Rob