Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Alert Pal Alarm Camera anyone?

On 17/12/2012 15:23, Roger Mills wrote:
Recently received an email from LocksOnline (from whom I've bought
mechanical bits and pieces in the past) attempting to sell me a security
system. Details he
http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalo...Security_.html

The idea seems to be that when (if) it detects an intruder or a fire in
your home, it sends you and SMS message - together with photos of
whatever its camera can see - prompting you to contact the police or
fire brigade from wherever you happen to be.

Anyone come across this sort of system? Would it actually work?

I ask partly because a thread started by Bill Wright in another NG
seemed to suggest that SMS message may sometimes not be delivered for
several hours. If that were the case, your house may well have been
cleared or razed to the ground by the time you knew about it.

Seems London Fire Brigade is considering twitter to report fires...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20754978

Is that any more reliable than SMS?

I do appreciate the issues about gathering extra information mentioned
in story. But the inherent one-wayness strikes me as a problem - and the
inherent interaction is most often a significant advantage of an
ordinary phone call.

--
Rod