Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default No Smoking on the Underground

On Dec 17, 7:03*pm, polygonum wrote:
On 17/12/2012 17:57, harry wrote:

On Dec 17, 3:00 pm, polygonum wrote:
Many times I have stood at Baker Street or one of the other stations
where steam locomotives used to haul and thought, what a smokey horrible
place it would be if they still ran. Well...

Steam train back on tube track for 150-year anniversary celebrations

Test run for London Underground's anniversary sees restored locomotive
pull Victorian carriage from Earl's Court to Moorgate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/de...ndon-undergrou....

Wish I had been there to see and smell it.

--
Rod

Bback then the tunnels were quite shallow and there were ventilation
chimneys. Many were removed on electrifiction but some remain.

Have the stations sunk since they were built so they are no longer shallow?

--
Rod

No, I'd have thought that was pretty obvious even to you.
It just means there were no deep ones.
Dunno why such stupid questions go through your mind when you can find
out most things with a few mouse clicks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_underground
The early tunnels were dug mainly using the cut-and-cover method. This
caused widespread disruption, and required the demolition of many
properties on the surface. The first trains were steam-hauled,
requiring effective ventilation to the surface. Ventilation shafts at
various points on the route allowed the engines to expel steam and
bring fresh air into the tunnels. One such vent is at Leinster
Gardens, W2.[19] To preserve the visual characteristics in what is
still an affluent street, a five-foot thick (1.5 m) concrete façade
was constructed to resemble a genuine house frontage.