Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default No Smoking on the Underground

On 17/12/12 20:50, polygonum wrote:
On 17/12/2012 20:43, djc wrote:
On 17/12/12 19:03, polygonum wrote:
On 17/12/2012 17:57, harry wrote:
On Dec 17, 3:00 pm, polygonum wrote:
Many times I have stood at Baker Street or one of the other stations
where steam locomotives used to haul and thought, what a smokey
horrible
place it would be if they still ran. Well...

Steam train back on tube track for 150-year anniversary celebrations

Test run for London Underground's anniversary sees restored locomotive
pull Victorian carriage from Earl's Court to Moorgate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/de...ndon-undergrou...

Wish I had been there to see and smell it.

--
Rod

Bback then the tunnels were quite shallow and there were ventilation
chimneys. Many were removed on electrifiction but some remain.

Have the stations sunk since they were built so they are no longer
shallow?

The Metropolitan/Circle/District line was the first to be built and is
sub-surface cut-and-cover rather than bored tunnel underground. Much of
it runs in open cuttings.

I appreciate that - there are some excellent pictures of the process.
But harry seemed to be suggesting that the tunnels *were* quite shallow
- but does that mean they no longer are?

They are still. I can look over part of the cutting for the Kings Cross
to Farringdon section from my front window.

--
djc