Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
John Larkin[_3_] John Larkin[_3_] is offline

Default More Media Lies

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:07:14 -0600, flipper wrote:

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 09:47:40 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:45:31 +0000 (UTC), RipeCrisbies
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:47:39 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
How's the crime rate in London?
Or Liverpool? Or Manchester?

Killed by Guns Last Year:

UK approx 35

USA approx 9500

No, the number is more like 30,000 with somewhat more than half being suicides.

But the US homicide rate is about 3.5x that of the UK, nothing like 9500/35.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

But we have fewer burglaries and muggings.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...tas-study.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-Harlem.html

The UK has it's problems but I know where I'd rather be! What sort of
democracy needs it's citizens to own guns. Afghanistan, Iraq?

I know it's not that bad as the vast majority of Americans are sensible
and like the rest of the sane world do not own guns. The few that do kill
thousands each year.

Gun violence is selective in the USA. Drug dealers, gangs, and some cities
dominate gun violence.

This is where the 25 year old 'kids' statistic comes from. Gun control
advocates include inter-gang and drug violence in 'kids killed'.

For actual children, having a swimming pool is a couple of orders more
lethal than having a gun around.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation