Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default No Smoking on the Underground

On Dec 17, 3:00*pm, polygonum wrote:
Many times I have stood at Baker Street or one of the other stations
where steam locomotives used to haul and thought, what a smokey horrible
place it would be if they still ran. Well...

Steam train back on tube track for 150-year anniversary celebrations

Test run for London Underground's anniversary sees restored locomotive
pull Victorian carriage from Earl's Court to Moorgate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/de...ndon-undergrou...

Wish I had been there to see and smell it.

--
Rod

Bback then the tunnels were quite shallow and there were ventilation
chimneys. Many were removed on electrifiction but some remain.