Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Alert Pal Alarm Camera anyone?

Well that is my first thought as well. I don't do text messages myself, but
I noted the other day that I'm still waiting for a second message someone
sent me ten mins after the forst, its been three days now. In any case, how
can these companies be selling x number of free texts if its all clogged up
and unreliable. I'd have thought this kind of thing should be done over
something like https in any case for security.
Brian

Email:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Recently received an email from LocksOnline (from whom I've bought
mechanical bits and pieces in the past) attempting to sell me a security
system. Details he
http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalo...Security_.html

The idea seems to be that when (if) it detects an intruder or a fire in
your home, it sends you and SMS message - together with photos of whatever
its camera can see - prompting you to contact the police or fire brigade
from wherever you happen to be.

Anyone come across this sort of system? Would it actually work?

I ask partly because a thread started by Bill Wright in another NG seemed
to suggest that SMS message may sometimes not be delivered for several
hours. If that were the case, your house may well have been cleared or
razed to the ground by the time you knew about it.
--
Cheers,
Roger