Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Wood Floor Question/Agree with Acclimation

jloomis wrote:
You raise a good point.
That is the entire argument from my brother-in-law, the real floor
installer.
In winter we have moist, dry, humid, hot, heck it depends on where
you are. In summer you have heat, moisture, humidity, dryness....
So, the floor will contract and expand accordingly.
I am at a loss with the acclimation point, and have decided to let the
client do all the necessary
floor prep, furniture move, and I will put it in after that. In Jan.
So, it will sit. I just hoped I could get some work before the
holiday, and had this darn question about
acclimation.
The flooring is boxed, and kept dry at the where house. It is
delivered to the house as I speak.
Now it sits there and sucks up whatever climate is there.
And in summer, it will shrink to whatever climate is there.....
hummm.
john

Well John - it certainly cannot hurt to sit, but the fact of the matter is
you can worry about this all you want, but in the summer the humidity is
going to change and the wood is going to react to that. There is nothing
more you can do but to nail it tight when you go on site, and let the rest
fall to what happens with all wood floors.

Think about the nicest wood flooring you've ever seen. Do you really think
they waited for some precise humidity level/moisture level and then put down
the floor? Heck no. By the time you get to do this work your questions
will all be moot, because you will have "acclimated" the wood anyway. Nail
it John!

--

-Mike-