Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default OT Putting your hand in cold water and instantly needing to have a pee

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 13:17:38 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
On 13/12/2012 20:31, ARW wrote:
I have just gone to remove a broken bathplug from on old dear's bath down
the street.

The bath was full of cold water as she had the bath this morning when the
plug broke. As soon as I put my hand into the water I needed the toilet -
and this was not a "just needed pee" this was a "less than 5 seconds to pee"
mode.

Any ideas why this would happen?

No pun intended - I really am not taking the ****, this really happened. I
am used to the cold as I spent Tuesday and Wednesday working outside for
most of the day.

It might be immersion diuresis. But even that seems ill-researched

Try telling that to any scuba diver who's in the water for more than an
hour - even in warm waters I struggled to avoid peeing in my wetsuit...

In coler waters on longer dives (3 hours) in the dry suit it was fine
though - I have plumbing to the outside... (Google p-valve if you
really want to know!)

Oh, it also goes without saying (or should, but I'll say it anyway)
that if you're a chap in your late 40's or older, then any signs of
problems in the waterworks department really should be checked out by
your doc! Movember, Bob Monkhouse and all that...

Yeah, but even with Benign prostatic hyperplasia, which is what I've
had for years, you do need to pee more often. I've had fingers up me
bum so many times since the 1970s, it's becoming mundane now. First
time was a bit embarrassing. But you don't know the meaning of
embarrassment until it's a woman doctor snapping on the latex glove!
Even then, I've had at least two. You get used to it. My BIL, a doc in
Germany, says, you simply don't see the person, you see a medical
condition.

MM