Phillip Hallam-Baker

Default Powermatic Model 66

(Bob Summers) wrote in message ...
On 6 May 2004 09:34:10 -0700,
(LP) wrote:

It sounds like you're experiencing a lot of frustration and
I'm sorry that you're having an unpleasant experience ... but
it sounds to me lilke you had some shipping problems that are
the carrier's fault and that your expectations were not set
correctly for buying an industrial tool.

Sounds to me like he got a machine that someone else had returned
and nobody had bothered to repack the thing properly.

I don't know what Powermatic do for packing but I'll bet they try to
at least do as good a job as Delta. My Unisaw came in a stout
cardboard box bolted to a pallet. Come to think of it I can't
think why any company would pack a saw any other way, the packing
described would not work with a forklift.

I don't know what expectations you have for buying industrial
machinery but I know what the expectations at Amazon are and
I don't think they were met. What happened when you called up
their customer service to complain?

Problem with something like a table saw is that the thing is
so damn heavy that replacement is a really inconvenient option.

These things are NOT sold as industrial tools, perhaps once but
these days the majority of buyers are 'prosumers'. If the market
was just the trade Delta would sell less than a quarter of what
it does today.

It is a pity that the manufacturers have yet to realize this.
They might clue into the fact that a designed for safety table
saw might have a higher WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) than the
baddly designed blade guards and splitters made to be thrown away.

Powermatic and Delta both seem to have an issue here. Thats
hardly surprising since the same distribution network will
distribute both. They need to get a clue and take control of
the distribution system. It makes no sense at all for them to
be shipping machines to Toolcrib to re-ship.