Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Wood Floor Question/Agree with Acclimation

On 12/13/2012 09:03 AM, jloomis wrote:
When it comes to vapor barriers and concrete.
I agree.
My friend ran Sandy Pond Hardwoods, and actually manufactured wood
flooring.
He has 30 years experience in installation, hardwoods, laminate, etc.
He was very careful to let me know that it was not necessary....
So, I do understand our reasoning in acclimation, and then from an
experienced floor person,
I get yet another opinion. hummmmmmm
I was actually hoping to get some work prior to Christmas......
Well, now that I got the pro's and con's, I have made up my mind to let
the floor acclimate, and work
after Christmas.

The whole point of acclimation is so any expansion/shrinkage due to a
large variation in the EMC can happen up front. If it's a floating
floor, I'd think a guy could probably lay 95% of it down, leaving just
the last few courses at the far edge undone. Then let it sit, and move
as it will. After a week, come back and finish up the remaining runs.

As long as there's plenty of room for expansion and the opportunity to
fill in if it shrinks I'd think you'd be good to go...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska