Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making Cabinet Doors with Rail and Stile router bit

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:44:45 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I tried my hand at making a couple of cabinet doors this weekend and they came out OK for a first try. I don't have a Rail and Stile bit set (yet) so here's what I did, just to make a couple of protoypes to show SWMBO: The frame was made from 3/4 poplar, the panel was 1/4 luan. I used a round-over bit on the inside of the 2 3/4" frame, a cove bit on the outside and a 1/4" straight bit for the plywood panel. I used miter joints at the corners and #10 biscuits to join them. Things I learned: 1 - I need a new 1/4 straight bit 2 - My miter saw needs a bit of adjustment 3 - When you do an eyeball test with #0 biscuits and set the biscuit joiner to #0, then decide that you have room for #10 biscuits, you really should change the setting on the joiner or it's really hard to get the miters to close fully. #10 biscuits in a #0 slot are really tight! ;-) I guess that's why we dry fit first, isn't it? OK, so if I decide that I'm really going to make 19 doors and 6 drawers, I need to improve my process. I'm considering using a Rail and Stile bit set but before I invest in a set, I have 2 main questions: 1 - Is a PC 690 (1 3/4 HP, single speed) router powerful enough to use with a Rail and Stile bit set? 2 - What's the trick to ensure a perfectly square cope on the end grain of the rails? I've been checking out some videos and doing some reading on making cabinet doors, but I'm very open to all suggestions, including books or websites. Thanks!

Yes, mounted in a table that router will eaqsily spin the rail\sitile bits. Could be a bit on the low side for a big panel but but sounds like you are doing flat panels anyway.

You need to learn about a "Coping Sled" to cut the rail ends. You can build them or buy them. I built one from a plan in a magazine a few years back and it is my pride and joy. Thing is bullet proof and a real workhorse. If I can locate the plans I'll post a link.