Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Californica cap-and-trade a big success...

P E Schoen wrote:
"flipper" wrote in message

Yes, I can see from your hysterical rhetoric what you would consider
'reasonable'.

Why is it that so many people with scientific, engineering, and
technical skills, are so dogmatically "religious" about their denialist
and obstructionist views when it comes to protecting the environment we
all share?

Because people make Doom prophesies out of a lot of it that doesn't
always come to pass. Because the CO levels of the exhaust of a
well-tuned Beetle would pass a tailpipe test but the regs still said
you hadda have a catalytic converter. We've been burned before.

And because our carbon use is what's different about how we
live now and how people lived - as serfs, basically - two-three
hundred years ago. It's also a thing that shines a painfully
strong light on the limits of the nation-state.

We are all in this together,

To an extent, but we all check out of the planet on our own
time, so there's a limit...

although many of the older
regulars here may not live long enough to be affected by the
catastrophic results

Most of the models predict nobody alive will see it.

of ignoring and belittling the evidence and those
who try to present reasonable actions to be taken.

*My* main grump about it is that I've never, ever had a projection that
I made work out. This is one whale of a projection. I lean towards
"it's true", but I don't see a lot we can do about it other than
a few cargo cult measures.

If I thought we really could add Pigovian taxes to the mix and fix it,
we should. I doubt they'll work. The rewards for defectors is too high.
For some cultures, you cannot even explain them to them.

I have no problem with the science. It's the narratives that people
build on the science that worry me. This means that people now want
to signal eco-conciousness, and that may or many not do any good.
Meanwhile, you can't even keep hackers outta corporate networks.

Perhaps you consider yourselves to be like the lucky pilot and die in
your sleep, and not screaming in terror like his passengers.

I think that attributing that much power to our puny species is
hubristic. We came into prominence by accident, and I expect
we'll go out the same way.

Paul

--
Les Cargill