Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] krw@att.bizzz is offline

Default An idiot and his table saw...

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 05:39:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 10, 1:02*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:24:00 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 9, 8:50*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 05:43:57 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 7, 8:56*am, wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 05:29:58 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 6, 5:18 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
" wrote:

On Dec 6, 11:41 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
" wrote:

On Dec 5, 2:50 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
" wrote:

You do realize that turning off the saw via the switch is
very different from a power failure, right? Using the
switch there is still power available to the protection
circuitry. During a power failure there is not.

A relay with it's coil across the power line when the switch is on
will stop it, if the power fails. Or configure it with the common
on/off power buttons as a simple motor controller.

It will stop it in 1 ms? Or at least close enough to instantly
to avoid injury, eh? You sure about that? You should go tell
the SawStop guy what a simple, practical new invention you
have. I say, it just doesn't work.

No one claimed that it did, and you just want to whine.

Excuse me, but try to follow the thread. The discussion was
about the SawStop and what happens if power is lost. The
claim was made that it still would work. Then someone claimed
that you could just short the motor and use electromagnetic
braking in case of power loss. The SawStop halts the saw in
1 ms.

Excuse yourself. It doesn't do that when the power fails, and you're
in the dark with a stil spinning blade. It's you that can't comprehend
what is happening in this thread. I introduced the magnetic braking to
stop the blade faster when the motor is turned off. I also told how to
do it in the case of a power failure. It's not my fault that your mother
used to let you play with plastic bags over your head, which caused all
that brain damage.- Hide quoted text -

Let's go back to your first post on this:

Leon:
10+ years ago before the SawStop was in production I questioned Gass
about this. *My TS accident happened after I finished a cut and had
turned the saw off. *The blade was coasting down to a stop when I was
cut. *I wanted to know back then it those bases were covered also.

Michael:
* A modification can be made to table saws with induction or split
phase motors. *You change the power switch from SPST to SPDT, add a
diode & electrolytic capacitor that charges when the motor is
running.
When you switch the motor off, the capacitor discharges through the
motor, causing a rapid braking effect. *This can't be done with
universal motors, since they will run on DC.

In the first sentence of the post you replied to, Leon said "I
questioned Gass about this." * The "this" he was referring to
was the issue if the SawStop still worked in the event of a power
fail. * So, that was the context. *And in posts before that, others
had suggested adding a cap to the SawStop so that it would
work when power was lost.

However, Leon's problem came in the spin-down which wouldn't
necessarily require the SS hardware.

It started with Leon saying this:

"If the saw was running, it will stop if there is a loss of power.
Yes
the stop will work if the saw is turned off. "

The "stop" Leon was talking about was the SawStop.
That was then changed to include normal spin-down,
without a power fail. * Whether you had the safety
protection of SawStop in those events. *leon was
checking to see what SS does in those cases.
SawStop halts the
saw in 1ms, apparently the timeframe you need to avoid
injury if you're about to hit the blade with your finger.

...and Leon explained his accident elsewhere. *SawStop was *NOT*
needed to save blood.

I don't care or know if Leon explained "his" accident
somewhere else. *Like most people, I'm not a mind
reader. *I just read his post in the context immediately
preceeding it.

I was giving you "the rest of the story", since you weren't bright
enough to pick up on it the first time.

...and yes, a blade brake would *COMPLETELY* solve the problem as
stated.

So, first, absent some extraordinary electromagnetic
braking design, I say you're not going to halt the saw
in the 1ms timeframe, that is fast enough to prevent
an injury if you shove your finger into the spinnng blade.

*NO ONE* said you would. *Stop putting words in people's mouths
(something which you're exceedingly good at).

Go **** yourself.

Sorry that you don't like the truth. *It is still the truth.

*Leon wanted to know if they'd
covered this case.

Yes, the case he was talking about was if SawStop would
work in power loss or normal spin-down,

Wouldn't have saved him in his accident.

Again, if he had included "his accident, his parameters",
then we wouldn't be here. *He posted in a thread about
SawStop and by context it implied his remarks were in
that regard. * He seems to be ok with it? *What are you]
now his argumentative little asshole defender?

I don't have any idea how big is asshole is but you've demonstrated
that you're consumed by yours.

Why is it that you have to take almost every discussion
that you participate down this kind of path? * I explained
my perspective, yet you INSIST that the way YOU happened
to interpret the post is the ONLY acceptable way. *WTF
is wrong with you?

[..../]
*IRONY

Idiot. *I was explaining the issue to you and you turned into your
normal assholiness. *I expected it and wasn't disappointed.- Hide quoted text -

Anyone can go back and look at the thread. The poster I
replied to was not clear whether they were referring to adding
electromagnetic braking for coast-down with a SawStop or
without it. Given that the bulk of the thread was about SawStop,
I interpreted it to mean adding it to the saw with SawStop.
You interpreted it another way. I explained why I interpreted
it the way I did. I didn't say that was the only interpretation.
I also agreed with, I think, every point you made. And I did it
politely.

Bull****. YOu got into your regular snit when I explained the
situation to you. You *really* don't like it when there is another
way of looking at a problem. ...an amazing quality for an engineer.

Instead of just accepting that, you started with the
snide remarks and insults, as is so typical from you.
Over what? Nothing factual about SawStop. Nothing
factual about anything. Just your continued insistance that
there is only one way to interpret that post which was unclear
and that anyone who didn't interpret it that way is an idiot.

The portion of the thread was moving away from SS, towards a better
solution for the problem at hand.

Just look at all the similar threads where you do exactly
the same thing, at all the vile arguments you spawn here.
As I've said, you've obviously got some real issues.

....and I've said it before, you're full of ****. You just CAN'T STAND
being told that you're wrong. You won't even think (forget outside
the box) for a minute. Engineer, my ass.