Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Fast and easy cabinet door...Opinion

wrote:
Just finished building a new shop. 24X24 One wall will have a large
section of shop built cabinets. I'd like to put doors on the cabinets
to keep the dust out of my stuff (well at least try). I want fast
cheap and dimensionally stable. I could cut up a bunch of 3/4 MDF for
the doors but that stuff is heavy and the hinges may rip out with
shop use. I could make real rail and stile doors with a ply panel but
that is a lot of work for a shop door. Plywood warps unless you use
the expensive baltic birch stuff.

Then I had an idea. I'd like your comments. What if I took a sheet of
1/4 luan and laid it on the concrete floor. Using liquid nails I
glued a series of 1x4 clear pine in the shape of the desired door
sizes. Then I glue another sheet of luan to the top. Compress the
whole thing with concrete blocks. After a couple of days, cut out the
doors by ripping them such that each door has 1/2 the width of the
1x4. I'd end up with a light, strong and dimensionally stable, door.
A 4x8 sheet of doors at a time. Would they be as good as I think?

Get the little woman to make curtains for the shelves.

Perhaps shades cut to size from the box store?