Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Fast and easy cabinet door...Opinion

On 12/11/12 8:33 AM, wrote:
Just finished building a new shop. 24X24 One wall will have a large

section of shop built cabinets. I'd like to put doors on the cabinets to
keep the dust out of my stuff (well at least try). I want fast cheap and
dimensionally stable. I could cut up a bunch of 3/4 MDF for the doors
but that stuff is heavy and the hinges may rip out with shop use. I
could make real rail and stile doors with a ply panel but that is a lot
of work for a shop door. Plywood warps unless you use the expensive
baltic birch stuff.

Then I had an idea. I'd like your comments. What if I took a sheet
of

1/4 luan and laid it on the concrete floor. Using liquid nails I glued a
series of 1x4 clear pine in the shape of the desired door sizes. Then I
glue another sheet of luan to the top. Compress the whole thing with
concrete blocks. After a couple of days, cut out the doors by ripping
them such that each door has 1/2 the width of the 1x4. I'd end up with a
light, strong and dimensionally stable, door. A 4x8 sheet of doors at a
time. Would they be as good as I think?

John

I think the mdf would've saved you a bunch of time and effort. :-)
If you've seen hinges "rip out," they were installed improperly.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--