Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Fast and easy cabinet door...Opinion

On 12/11/2012 8:33 AM, wrote:

I want fast cheap and dimensionally stable. I could cut up a bunch of 3/4 MDF for the doors but that stuff is heavy and the hinges may rip out with shop use.

Not necessarily. When I retrofitted and moved back into my old shop last
year, I used 3/4" MDF (the green stuff Leon mentioned) for the cabinet
doors.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...48498659302354

Here's the entire retrofit:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...pRetrofit2011#

If your doors are extra large, just use three hinges on each door.

I had "Salice Silentia Soft-Close" 3/4 overlay hinges leftover from
another job, and used those for the shop cabinets, but any decent Euro
hinge will work.

Once painted, a good quality MDF door is as good, utility wise, as any
wooden door, and a lot cheaper and easier on the budget.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net