Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fast and easy cabinet door...Opinion

wrote:
Just finished building a new shop. 24X24 One wall will have a large
section of shop built cabinets. I'd like to put doors on the cabinets
to keep the dust out of my stuff (well at least try). I want fast
cheap and dimensionally stable. I could cut up a bunch of 3/4 MDF for
the doors but that stuff is heavy and the hinges may rip out with
shop use. I could make real rail and stile doors with a ply panel but
that is a lot of work for a shop door. Plywood warps unless you use
the expensive baltic birch stuff.

Then I had an idea. I'd like your comments. What if I took a sheet of
1/4 luan and laid it on the concrete floor. Using liquid nails I
glued a series of 1x4 clear pine in the shape of the desired door
sizes. Then I glue another sheet of luan to the top. Compress the
whole thing with concrete blocks. After a couple of days, cut out the
doors by ripping them such that each door has 1/2 the width of the
1x4. I'd end up with a light, strong and dimensionally stable, door.
A 4x8 sheet of doors at a time. Would they be as good as I think?

John

Well - for cheap and dirty John, you could simplify your idea. Nix the
second layer of plywood. If you glue the 1x4 to the backing plywood, it
will be "good enough" for ugly shop doors. I'd use Tightbond rather than
Liquid Nails. It'll be ready to go the next day. I would also make sure
that I glued all of the 1x4's to each other where they butt together - that
will unify the structure more.

Of course it will be a second rate job - since you're not using acetylene
torches, or a mig welder, or multiple coats of urethane clear coat. But...

--

-Mike-