Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jointing problems

On Monday, December 10, 2012 2:16:55 PM UTC-8, Han wrote:
Han wrote in : Trying to get 42" long 6" nominal width boards of nice white oak jointed to glue up for a shelf. Now the boards touch at the ends, but have 1/16" or so gaps in the middle. What did I do wrong with this jointing on my little Delta jointer? Should I try a handplane? I tried re-jointing, but I think the beds of the jointer aren't long enough. I started a glue-up as a trial with 3 boards (I need a few inches more later). When the glue has dried, I'll saw along the glueline with my fancy Freud blade to make "jointed" edges, then re-glue the boards. I have another shelf to make and the not yet jointed boards line up better ... I tried to make a better shelf, and muffed it up on the first try. Oh well trial and error hits again. -- Best regards Han email address is invalid

When you joint, get your down pressure onto the outfeed table as soon as possible then pull the bord across the blades with pressure down in the foirst few inches to mid point of outfeed table.